St. Monica is a large Roman Catholic parish of approximately 8,000 households. Six weekend Masses offer a variety of liturgical and musical styles, including a family liturgy, a traditional liturgy with choir, and masses with contemporary music. A music staff of nine work under the director of liturgy and music, functioning as cantor or director of one of five choirs. Countless ministries serve the parish community (bereavement, HIV-AIDS, ministry to thee sick, etc.), local community (habitat for humanity, ministry to the incarcerated, food shelters) and global community. Opportunities to get involved are boundless; indeed, a typical day on the St. Monica calendar lists about 20 events!
St. Monica coordinates a hospitality ministry that comprises more than 150 committed volunteers. Each week, volunteers greet and welcome people to Mass; they make themselves available to inform members and visitor about the various ministries at St. Monica, including those of outreach (both local and global), pastoral care, music and worship, and education. Their project involves deepening their ministry of hospitality, and examining ways in which they can share this important work with the wider community. They propose to:
- Build and strengthen the presentation about hospitality that their ministry coordinators have developed
- Host ministry forums to share their story with other Roman Catholic churches as well as ecumenical and interfaith partners in their neighborhood and city.
- Write a series of articles or a “how to” book.
- Identify and work on strategically tackling problems of injustice.
- Develop a culture to speak with decision makers locally and globally on issues of injustice.
Dale Sieverding, Director of Music and Liturgy and Team Leader
Lloyd Torgerson, Pastor
Delis Alejandro, Pastoral Associate
725 California Avenue
Santa Monica, California